Jeffrey J. Milroy MPH, DrPH.,
Jeffrey J. Milroy MPH, DrPH.,
Director of Programs
Managing Director of the Institute to Promote Athlete Health & Wellness
Faculty; Department of Public Health Education, UNC Greensboro
Dr. Milroy earned a B.S. in Community Health Education from the State University of New York at Potsdam (2002), his M.P.H. in Public Health Education from the UNC Greensboro (2006), and his Doctorate in Public Health (DrPH) from the UNC Greensboro (2010). Presently Dr. Milroy is Prevention Strategies’ director of Programs. Dr. Milroy is a member of multiple professional organizations including the Society for Prevention Research, the American College Health Association, and the American Public Health Association.
Dr. Milroy has provided consulting services for the NCAA, Be Active, NC, and the National Center for Drug Free Sport. Dr. Milroy is interested in the health and well-being of adolescents and young adults. His research foci include alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention, physical activity promotion among college student populations, and innovative program planning and implementation. Dr. Milroy was born and raised in Scarborough, Ontario Canada, and currently resides in Greensboro, NC with his wife Stefanie, and children Gracie, Lila and Jett.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Oakes, L. R., Milroy, J. J., George, S., & Smith, A. (Under review). Examining campus recreation and sports experiences of college students with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (IDD): A Special Olympics Unified Sports study. Recreational Sports Journal.
- Milroy, J. J., Lee, D. S., Hanna, K., VandeLinde, T., Kaufman, K. L., Raj, A., Barker, K., Sitney, M., Lipman, A., Glace, A., Kyler-Yano, J. (2022). Prevention of Sexual Violence in sport: A Socioecological Review. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 37(13-14).
- Kaufman, K. L., Lee, D. S., Raj, A., Milroy, J. J., Sitney, M., Lipman, A., Glace, A., Kyler-Yano, J. (2022). The Role of Theory in the Prevention of Sexual Violence in Sports. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Zamboanga, B. L., Merrill, J. E., Olthuis, J. V., Martin, J. L., Jarrell, J. T., Cannon, M., Meca, A., Milroy. J. L., & Wyrick, D. L. (2022). NCAA student-athletes: A national study on drinking game behaviors and related consequences. Journal on the Studies of Alcohol and Drugs. 83(1):74-84.
- Hebard, S. P., Davoren, A., Milroy, J. J., Oakes, L. R., Redman, J., Ehrmann, J., Wyrick, D. L. (2021). Reclaiming the Educational Purpose of Sport: The InSideOut Initiative (ISOI) Logic Model. Journal for the Study of Sports and Athletes in Education.
- Hebard, Oakes, Milroy, Redman, Ehrmann, Davoren, Wyrick. (2021). Transformational Coaching and Leadership: Athletic Administrators’ Novel Application of Social and Emotional Competencies in High School Sport. Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching & Learning
- Ma, A., Chambers, B. D., Tanner, A. E., Kugler, K. C., Milroy, J. J., & Wyrick, D. L. (2021). Examining the intersection of alcohol use and hookups among transgender college students: A descriptive study. Journal of Public Health Issues and Practices, 5(2), 183. https://doi.org/10.33790/jphip1100183
- Milroy, J. J., Oakes, L. R., & Hickerson, B. D. (2021). Design thinking: Assessing the health needs of college students with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12882
- Tanner AE, Guastaferro KM, Rulison KL, Wyrick DL, Milroy JJ, Bhandari S, Thorpe S, Ware S, Miller AM, Collins LM. (2021) A hybrid evaluation-optimization trial to evaluate an intervention targeting the intersection of alcohol and sex in college students and simultaneously test an additional component aimed at preventing sexual violence. Annals of Behavioral Medicine.
- Oakes, L., Nichols, T., Schleien, S., Milroy, J. J., Strack, B. (2021). Exploring Inclusion of College Students with IDD in Campus Recreation and Sports Through the Lens of IPSE Programs’ Organizational Level Stakeholders. Journal of Inclusive Postsecondary Education.
- Oakes, L., Nichols, T., Schleien, S., Milroy, J. J., Strack, B. (2021). Exploring Inclusion of College Students with IDD in Campus Recreation and Sports Through the Lens of Recreation and Sports Departments. Recreational Sports Journal
- Weaver, G., Kroshus, E., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L. (2021). Student Awareness of Campus Medical Amnesty Policies. Journal of American College Health.
- Wyrick, D. L., Tanner, A. E., Milroy, J. J., Guastaferro, K. M., Bhandari, S., Kugler, K. C., Thorpe, S., Ware, S., Miller, A. M., & Collins, L. M. (2020) itMatters: Optimization of an online intervention to prevent sexually transmitted infections in college students. Journal of American College Health.
- Milroy, J. J., Rulison, K. L.,Sanders, L., Mendenhall, B., Wyrick, D. L. (2020). Using the Integrated Behavioral Model to Determine Sport-Related Concussion Reporting Among Collegiate Student-Athletes. Journal of Adolescent Health. 66(6), 705-712.
- Reich, A. L., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L., Hebard, S. P. (2020). A social ecological framework: Counselor’s role in improving student-athletes’ help-seeking behaviors. Journal of College Counseling, 1-20.
- Thorpe, S., Tanner, A. E., Ware, S, Guastaferro, K. M., Milroy, J. J., & Wyrick, D. L. (2020). First-year Black college students’ alcohol expectancies: Implications for intersectional interventions. American Journal of Health Education
- Kroshus, E., Cameron, Coatsworth, D., D’Lauro, C., Kim, Lee, Register-Mihalik, J., Milroy, J. J., Roetert, P., Schmidt, J., Silverman, R. (2020). Improving concussion education: consensus from the NCAA-Department of Defense Mind Matters Research & Education Grand Challenge. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 54(22).
- Milroy, J. J., Sanders, L., Mendenhall, B., Dudley, W., Wyrick, D. L. (2020). A latent profile analysis to categorize and describe athletes based on factors related to concussion disclosure. Journal of Athletic Training.
- Oakes, L. R., Hickerson, B. D., & Milroy, J. J. (2020). Let’s Talk about Health: Engaging College Students with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities and Support Staff in Conversations about Health and Wellness Needs. Journal of Inclusive Postsecondary Education, 2(1). https://doi.org/10.13021/jipe.2020.2476
- Longo, L. M., Martin, J. L., Zamboanga, B. L., Milroy, J. J., & Wyrick, D. L. (2020). Ethnic, gender, and seasonal difference in heavy drinking and protective behavioral strategies among student-athletes. Journal of Ethnicity and Substance Abuse, 19(2):253-270. DOI: 10.1080/15332640.2018.1520172
- Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L., Sanders, L., Refisteck E. J., Beamon, E. (2019). Student-athlete concussion disclosure and coach communication within collegiate athletics. Journal of Concussion, DOI: 10.1177/2059700219894104
- Zamboanga, B. L., Merrill, J. E., Olthius J. V., Milroy, J. J., Sokolovsky, A.W., Wyrick, D. L. (2019). Secondary Effects of myPlaybook on College Athletes' Avoidance of Drinking Games or Pregaming as a Protective. Social Science & Medicine, 228:135-141. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.02.016.
- Sanders, L., Dudley, W., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L. (2019). Profiling of Student-Athletes using Protective Behavioral Strategies and Alcohol Use Based on Cluster Analysis Assignment. Social Work and Social Sciences Review, 20(2), http://dx.doi.org/10.1921/swssr.v20i2.1246
- Oakes, L., Milroy, J. J., Hickerson, B. (2019). Health Disparities and Health Promotion Needs of College Students with Intellectual and/or Developmental Disabilities: A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of American College Health, 29:1-12.
- Thorpe S., Tanner, A. E., Kugler, K. C., Chambers, B. D., Ma, A., Jenkins Hall W., Ware, S., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L. (2019) First year college students’ alcohol and hookup behaviours: Sexual scripting and implications for sexual health promotion. Culture, Health, and Sexuality. DOI: 10.1080/13691058.2019.1688868
- Thorpe, S., Ware, S., Tanner, A. E., Kugler, K. C., Guastaferro, K. M., Milroy, J. J, & Wyrick D. L (2019). Sexual sensation seeking, hookups, and alcohol consumption among first-year college students. Journal of American College Health. 10.1080/07448481.2020.1713136
- Orsini, M. M., Milroy, J. J., Bernick, J. B., Bruce, S., Gonzalez, J., Bell, B., & Wyrick, D. L. (2019). Bystander intervention training that goes beyond sexual violence prevention. American Journal of Health Studies, 34(2), 23-57.
- Oakes, L., Miller, K., & Milroy, J. J. (2018). Postsecondary Education Programs: A New Employment Opportunity for Licensed and/or Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists. Therapeutic Recreation Journal.
- Milroy, J. J., Hebard, S., Kroshus, E., Wyrick, D. L. (2018). Sport-related Concussion Reporting and Coach-Athlete Attachment Among Collegiate Student-Athletes. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology. DOI: 10.1123/jcsp.2017-0029
- Kroshus, E., Chrissman, S. P. D., Milroy, J. J., Baugh, C. (2018). History of concussion diagnosis, differences in concussion reporting behavior, and self-described reasons for non-report. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology.
- Orsini, M. M., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L., & Sanders, L. (2018). Polysubstance use among first-year NCAA college student-athletes. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse. 1(Supp 1).
- Christine Kugler, K., Tanner, A., Wyrick, D., Milroy, J., Chambers, B., Ma, A., & Collins, L. (2017). 2526: Using the multiphase optimization strategy to engineer an optimized STI preventive intervention among college students. Journal of Clinical and Translational Science, 1(S1), 82-82. doi:10.1017/cts.2017.289
- Massengale, K. E. C., Ma, A., Rulison, K., Milroy, J. & Wyrick, D (2017). Perceived norms and alcohol use among first-year college student-athletes' different types of friends. Journal of American College Health, 65(1) 32-40. doi: 10.1080/07448481.2016.1233557
- Lewis, T. F., Milroy, J. J., Wyrick, D. L., Wachtel, K., Hebard, S., (2016). Binge and Non-binge Drinking Student-Athletes: The Role of Proximal Norms, Negative Expectancies, and Selected Socio-Demographic Variables. Journal of Child & Adolescent Substance Abuse. DOI: 10.1080/1067828X.2016.1222978
- Wyrick, D.L., Milroy, J.J., Reifsteck E.J., Rulison K.L., Fearnow-Kenney M., & Dudley W.N. (2016). Investigating risk factors predictive of problem outcomes experienced by first year drinking and non-drinking collegiate student-athletes. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education. 60(3).
- Fearnow-Kenney, M., Wyrick, D. L., Milroy, J. J., Reifsteck, E., Kelly, S.E., Day, T.F. (2016). The Effect of a Web-Based Alcohol Prevention Program on Social Norms, Expectancies, and Intentions to Prevent Harm among College Student-Athletes. The Sport Psychologist. 30(2),113-122.
- Egan, K., Erausquin, J., Milroy, J.J., Wyrick, D.L. (2016). Synthetic Cannabinoid Use and Descriptive Norms among Collegiate Student-Athletes. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs.1-7
- Milroy J. J., Orsini MM., D’Abundo M. L., Sidman C. L., Venezia D. (2015). Physical Activity Promotion on Campus: Using Empirical Evidence to Recommend Strategic Approaches to Target Female College Students. College Student Journal. 49(4), 517-526.
- Milroy J.J., Orsini M.M., Wyrick D.L., Fearnow-Kenney M., Wagoner K.G., Caldwell R. (2015). Implementing an Alcohol and Other Drug Use Prevention Program Using University-High School Partnerships: Challenges and Lessons Learned. American Journal of Health Education,46,1-4.
- Strack, R. W., Orsini, M. M., Fearnow-Kenney, M., Herget, J., Milroy, J. J., & Wyrick, D. L. (2015). Developing a web-based tool using information and communication technologies to expand the reach and impact of photovoice. American Journal of Health Education, 46(4), 192-195.
- Milroy, J.J., Orsini, M.M., Wyrick, Fearnow-Kenney, M., Kelly, S. E., D.L., Burley, J. (2015). A National Study of the Reasons for Use and Non-Use of Alcohol, Among College Student-Athletes by Sex, Race, and NCAA Division. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education. 59(1).
- Hassel G., Milroy, J.J., Orsini M.M. (2015). Investigating Motivation for Physical Activity Among Minority College Females Using the BREQ-2. Journal of Student Research. 4(1),40-44.
- Wyrick, D.L., Rulison, K.L., Fearnow-Kenney, M., Milroy, J.J., & Collins, L. (2014). Moving beyond the treatment package approach to developing behavioral interventions: Addressing questions that arose during an application of the Multiphase Optimization Strategy (MOST). Translational Behavioral Medicine: Practice, Policy and Research. doi: 10.1007/s13142-013-0247-7
- D’Abundo M., Sidman C., Milroy JJ., Orsini MM., Fiala K. (2014) Construct Validity of College Students' Responses to the Behavioral Regulation in Exercise Questionnaire (BREQ-2). Recreational Sports Journal.38,40-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.1123/rsj.2013-0006.
- Seitz, C.M., Wyrick, D.L., Orsini, M.M., Milroy, J.J., & Fearnow-Kenney, M. (2013). Coverage of adolescent substance use prevention in state frameworks for health education: 10-year follow-up. Journal of School Health, 83(1), 53-60.
- Wahesh E., Milroy JJ., Lewis TF., Orsini MM., Wyrick DL. (2013). Hazardous Drinking by First-Year College-Athletes: The Differential Roles of Drinking Motives, Alcohol Consequences, and Season Status. Journal of Alcohol and Drug Education. 57(2): 66-84
- Milroy J.J., Orsini M.M., Sidman, C., D’Abundo M. (2013). College Students' Perceived Wellness Among Online, Face-to-Face, and Hybrid Formats of a Lifetime Physical Activity and Wellness Course. American Journal of Health Education. 44(5);252-258.
- Orsini, M.M., Wyrick, D.L., & Milroy, J.J. (2012). Collaborative Evaluation of a High School Prevention Curriculum: How Methods of Collaborative Evaluation Enhanced a Randomized Control Trial to Inform Program Improvement. Journal of Evaluation and Program Planning.
- Milroy, J.J., Wyrick, D.L., Bibeau, D.L., Strack, R.W., Davis, P.G. (2012). A University System–Wide Qualitative Investigation Into Student Physical Activity Promotion Conducted on College Campuses. American Journal of Health Promotion. 26(5); 305-312.
- Seitz, C.M., Milroy, J.J., Orsini, M.M., Wyrick, D.L., Herring, J., & Koech, M. (2011). YouTube: An international medium for sharing videos about hookah smoking. International Electronic Journal of Health Education, 14:142-149.
- D’Abundo M., Orsini MM., Milroy JJ., Sidman, C. (2011). The Reliability and Construct Validity of American College Students’ Responses to the WHOQOL-BREF. International Electronic Journal of Health Education. 14:101-108.
- Wyrick, D.L., Fearnow-Kenney, M., Wyrick, C.H., Orsini, M.M., Strack, R.W., & Milroy, J.J. (2010). Going the Distance: Delivery of High School Drug Prevention via Distance Education. The American Journal of Distance Education. 24(3): 151-162.
- Davoren, A., Wyrick, D. L., Milroy, J. J., Petr, T. (UNDER REVIEW). Retirement from Competitive Collegiate Sport: Implications for Future Wellness.
- Editors: Kaufman, K. L., Raj, A., Milroy, J. J., Lee, D. S. (2020). Special Issue on Sexual Violence in Sport. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
- Kugler, K. C., Wyrick, D. L., Tanner, A. E., Milroy, J. J., Chambers, B. D., Ma, A., Collins, L. M. (2018). Using the Multiphase Optimization Strategy (MOST) to Develop an Optimized Online STI Preventive Topics. An Iterative Approach to Building an Optimized STI Preventive Intervention Aimed at College Students: The Importance of a Conceptual Model.
- Milroy, J. J., & Wyrick, D. L. (2017). Concussions in Athletics: Assessment, Management and Emerging Issues: Educational Strategies to Increase Sport-Related Concussion Reporting by Collegiate Student-Athletes. Nova Science Publishers
Book Chapters/Edited Journals